From the bohemian spirit to the serious intellect, the casual visitor to the avid traveler, New York City has something for everyone.
A person can glimpse the majestic Manhattan skyline when driving to Liberty State Park. Before venturing out it would be wise to use the ParkWhiz app to book a parking space and save some money.
The street style in New York City ranges from grungy to classy. Its atmosphere is crisp with busyness. People walk about with a purposeful sense of urgency.
Since cab drivers seem to make their own traffic rules, bright yellow taxis appear to have a mind of their own. The lush greenness of Central Park is a stark contrast to the tall skyscrapers. Times Square is ablaze with lights and giant billboards 24 hours a day. New York City never sleeps.
Things to Do While in New York City
- Visit the Disney store in Times Square and take home a Christmas ornament.
- Grab a quick bite at the Europa Cafe like a busy New Yorker would.
- Enjoy a bird’s eye view of the city from the One World Observatory.
- Visit the 9/11 Memorial museum. The Twin Tower memorial is a stark reminder of the horrors of terrorism.
- Christmas season is the perfect time to enjoy a show by the popular Rockettes.
- The serious theater addict should not missLupita Nyong’o “Eclipsed.”
- Enjoy a gargantuan slice of cheesecake at Junior’s Cheesecake on Flatbush Avenue in downtown Brooklyn.
- Gaze down at the city below from the 100th floor of the One World Observatory. Their website says, “prepare to See Forever™.”
- Stop by a cozy cafe, like The Coffee Inn is a quaint little shop offering, baked goods, gelato, premium roasted coffees, and more. It is located on the Upper East Side.
New York Offers Fine and Casual Dining
The perfect spot for discerning food connoisseur is Le Périgord, in Midtown Manhattan. Diners are served exquisite French cuisine by tuxedoed servers. The restaurant also offers a great selection of wine.
In the mood for a food adventure? Try some finger licking Indian street food at the Kati Roll Company situated between the 2nd and 3rd Avenue. Kati rolls are an Indian version of a burrito, consider trying one filled with vegetarian filling.
New York Museums and Attractions
Visit the American Museum of Natural History, which is considered to be one of the largest in the world. Located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. While there a person could pick up a pre-historic dinosaur bone. Perhaps consider taking the “Night at The Museum” self-guided tour. Here one can see the actual exhibits that inspired the characters from the movie.
One of the best-kept secrets is the fact that one can purchase packages offering admission to multiple museums, and New York City attractions. There are several to choose from;
- New York City Pass, saving up to 40 percent off of six sites.
- New York Pass, for free entry to more than 70 attractions. There are one, two, three, and seven-day tickets. There is a 200-page guidebook included, available in English, Spanish, and five additional languages.
- Explorer Pass, choose three, five, seven or ten popular New York City sights for one low price. There are over 45 attractions, museums, and tours from which to choose. Pass holders have 30 days to visit selected locations.
The city and its suburbs offer visitors and residents a vast variety of dining choices, museums, tours, and theater. Choosing to travel to New York City is a vacation worth considering.
By Anne Helena Daniel
Edited by Cathy Milne
NYC: The Official Website of the City of New York
One World Observatory: Website
American Museum of Natural History: Ticketing and Admission
9/11 Memorial: What to expect
ParkWhiz: Guaranteed Parking; Find and Book Parking Anywhere
Image Courtesy of Kamil Porembiński’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License